Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

refreshed rose


 Beautiful after 2 mm of rain with the late afternoon sun lighting the petals.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

mixed media

Mixed media? No, I haven't been dabbling in canvases, paint and the like but rather mixing my fabrics, printer and cardstock.  To create a 40th birthday greeting for a person with interests in WW1 militaria I recreated a  First Field Dressing. 


A what?  Well this was a sealed pack carried by soldiers into battle.  It provided them with iodine, a gauze swab and strapping to cover a wound until or if they saw medical help. In fact the modern version is still taken into battle. The videos told me they aren't as compact though!
This was the inspiration, from here.

To make the cotton cover I printed the instructions on some cotton inkjet fabric.  A First Field Dressing had a waterproof inner cover that held the gauze. For this greeting the inner packet was created using paper with origami folds so it expanded.  The packet end was perforated with a slot rotary blade to make it easy to tear open.  The iodine bottle was a tiny glass vial loaded with some Adirondack alcohol ink, a cork stopper and wax seal. 


   

Sunday, April 21, 2013

quite the fashionista

A large advertising supplement was wrapped inside this morning's Sunday Age.  Lovely paper, don't ask me about the pictures!    W suggested I could make it into a paper bag. It was about 73 cm x 52 cm when spread out flat. This made it a lot bigger than the magazine and folio picture books I have made bags from so far.



After some folding and taping I now have the latest fashion bag.  

Rather in the oversize Kelly bag fashion I would suggest  Yes, it's a paper bag.

 Here is a bag made from two magazine pages standing in front of the fashion bag.



Tuesday, April 9, 2013

new inspiration

I happened upon Päivi Eerola's blog from a Pinterest pin of an item on her Etsy shop.  She is a Finnish artist with diverse skills from dyeing, hand spinning ....  Or as she puts it  ' I paint and purl. Spin, knit, crochet and sew. Scrap, paint swap and stamp.  From design to finish.'
Although I could call her artwork 'busy' the colours, shading and patterns she creates has me fascinated as I like their freedom of brush stroke and line.  I can see them as lovely fabrics.
Here is one of her pieces of art.
from here


She creates polymer clay buttons for her personal use applying her ethos 'from design to finish'.   I used to create polymer buttons many years ago. Seeing Päivi's collection has stirred the embers that have been glowing since I rearranged some supplies in the studio four weeks ago. Now I wonder if the blocks of clay can be worked back to life.

Monday, April 8, 2013

public bathing

As we are still hanging out for some rain I turned the sprinklers on in the front garden to revive the plants in the garden bed.

Three magpies dropped in for a shower: a large fully grown bird, one I will call a teenager and a toddler.  I was allowed to get very close for the photos and they weren't fussed by my presence.  The teenager hadn't yet learnt to use the bird bath and tried many times to bathe in the pools of water on the lawn.  I did consider disconnecting the hose and just spraying it in an arc to see if they would play/wash under it.

 In your face shower

Sophisticated bathing

 One in all in

Shallow lawn dip bath

 Hanging out to dry

It would be very tempting to set it up every day and watch the visitors.

Sunday, April 7, 2013

pulling the threads together

My last post spoke of a journey with threads. Well over the weeks since there have been a few journeys but no threads.  More a case of tending to the invisible ties that bind!

I did bring back some beautiful lightweight black linen for a sewing commission.  As always the first step is to overlock the ends of the length of fabric and give it a wash to remove the sizing and do some preshrinking.

When I passed the laundry sink at the end of the cycle I noticed fine black silt in the tub.  I checked the filter bag and it was loaded with threads and fine silt too.  Then I took out the fabric, look no threads.


A section of the fabric had washed away.  Testing by stretching showed that this was the weakest area of  the cloth but it was damaged all over. 

Checking online for why this might have happened has only given me one possible suggestion so far: that one shouldn't store fabric with starch in it as it will rot the fabric.  I don't know what the chemical compostion of the size used was so the mystery stands.

The fabric dried in a flash and didn't need much ironing.  Sigh.  Beautiful but .......