Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

from 2D to 3D

The card for May card class packs up quite flat.
This flat!  
So if you're not able to hand the birthday card over (which is always more fun) it will be safe in the mail.  Standing tall and full 3D it looks like this.
I have plans to use some papers from My Mind's Eye Good Day Sunshine collection with the same construction.  The speckle stamp might be good for some sand.   Distress embossing powder - antique linen will be worth a test too for some wet sand footprints.

The class will be held on Tuesday 17 May 2011  6.30- 8.30 pm.
Bookings can be made in store, by emailing info@chandoncraft.com.au or calling 5223 2003.



 

Monday, April 18, 2011

think big

The next of my card classes is Bird Song. It is designed to fit into a C5 envelope. This envelope is the standard size for an A4 sheet folded in half  i.e. 23 cm x 16 cm.    Another way of creating the envelope for this card size is to use a Cricut machine, a 12 x 24 inch mat and some colourful matching cardstock .

During the Cricut Learners classes in recent weeks I introduced the 12 x 24 cutting mat to participants.  Some concern was expressed about cutting down large sheets of paper, the size you usually buy from art shops.  Since you are using the Cricut to cut the accurate shape you can just cut the piece of art paper down with scissors so it fits on the mat.  For test cuts a piece of A3 printer paper is a good stock to use to check sizes.  I used a piece of A3 tonight and left it on the mat between different sized cuts.  It enabled me to lay the card on the envelope shape to check the size. 

From a little trial and error I found "AllOne-s" envelope on Wild Card Cartridge cut at 228 mm is a good shape.  The "envelope" on Plantin Schoolbook is 2 cm too high for the necessary width.  The trick is to understand how the envelope is related to the card on each key of the overlay for any given cartridge.  The card size leads the envelope size.

Friday, April 8, 2011

hidden sugars - a good discovery

Working with spun sugar distress stain has been easy with the paper, ribbons and braids.  Then I wanted to colour up some white very 3D paper flowers for the project.  The applicator on the stain bottle wasn't going to get into the nooks and crannies of the flower petals.

Alcohol inks are great for paper flowers so out came the pink sherbet (and my only pink) for the first test.   After moistening the flower with alcohol blending solution I dropped on neat pink sherbet.  Whoa!  Way too dark.

The next test was two drops of pink sherbet in 1/3 mini mister of alcohol blending solution.  Perfect match.  Who would have thought that spun sugar was hidden inside pink sherbet.!!

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Rose Card

In preparing a birthday card for a rose lover I finally settled on WP Country Estate Breezeway.  Along the way I had gathered up several rose print papers but this was one that spoke the loudest. 
The images of the rose arbour and the large roses were cut out, embossed and rearranged to make a layered A5 size card. The image on the paper was 25 high.  After cutting out I rearranged them to fit on a 21 cm high card base.
Our greetings are tucked away in an envelope inside the card.



Materials:
2 sheets of Webster's Pages Country Estate Breezeway
1 sheet Keaycolour 250 gsm Cream cardstock
1/2 sheet ColorMates Dark Mostly Mauve
Envelope - Cricut Cartridge Plantin Schoolbook
Seam binding coloured with Tim Holtz Distress Stain Antique Linen

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

table presentation

We had a family birthday dinner late last week for which I have created some sweet baskets for each place setting.  Some years ago I designed a bag. Called the "travel bag" it had a leather look handle with hand (drawn) stitching and the bag body was from a world atlas.  When I wanted to use the design I had to draw around a template and cut it out.
Since owning my Cricut I have digitised the design and can now cut it using Sure Cuts A Lot and the Cricut Expression machine.  With the (mental) hard work done by me to create the cutting file is was up to the Cricut to do the repetitive cutting.  



 Then with the "work" done I was free to experiment.  I love the colour and strong design of the My Mind's Eye Lush 2 Fuchsia Stripe.

 


For these bags I have used Keaycolour 250 gsm cream cardstock. The tools were Cricut Expression, Cuttlebug, Spellbinder dies and Martha Stewart Scoring Board.  A team effort.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

more colour

Copic and Adirondack alcohol media are great for changing the colour of ribbons and braids.  The one disadvantage I find is that they both have a resin in them that changes the texture of the ribbons.  It makes them stiffer.

A friend is dyeing fabrics and ribbons with natural dyes and I lately I have been considering some synthetic dyes.  I have bought my first two Tim Holtz Distress Stains at Paperific last Friday.  With an applicator in the top of the bottle it is easy to change the colour of my seam binding and laces from white to well, at the moment Antique Linen and Spun Sugar.  These fluid dyes leave the seam binding lovely and floppy.  Sometimes a little extra colour gathers along the edges.  A bit of research on the Ranger site tells me there are 12 colours in this first release of Distress Stains. 

The first piece of seam binding in Antique Linen was used in the Rose Card I have just completed.  It doesn't have much bulk so it can also be used on the inside of the card.
The Rose Card will be on view after it has been presented!